To skip the storytelling, scroll down 🔽 to the recipe card.
Hi, guys. Some exciting things are happening with me. That is why I have been missing. But I love writing and creating, so I can’t stay away too long. 😍
My city, Chi-Town, has opened up completely for business. Make sure you get out this summer safely and enjoy downtown Chicago. We know the virus is still out there and its variants. Please, stay vigilant.
I’ve been working on a salad recipe I saw at Pete’s Market . If you follow my blog, you know I like to go home and try and recreate recipes off the cuff using my palate memory. So here’s my take on Pete’s Market’s poppy seed salad. It’s a nice choice for a summer salad, light and fresh. Enjoy!
This is a simple easy salad you can throw together for a backyard barbecue, potluck, and it’s also pretty enough for special occasions like a graduation party. Five ingredients: red onion, walnuts, spinach, apple and poppy seed dressing. That’s it.
All the Stars
I chose walnuts but you can swap out the walnuts for pecans. Top with melted butter and brown sugar before toasting in the oven.
Walnuts after toasting, um-hmm
Whenever I make an apple pie or any recipe using apples, I use an apple corer here. To me, the apples look pretty and uniform. But you can absolutely use a knife to slice and core your apples.
Layer ingredients and combine evenly.
Make your own homemade poppy seed dressing or do like me and buy your favorite brand.
For the cheese lovers, you can add some feta cheese.
Add grapefruit or orange slices for garnish. (optional)
Did you make this recipe? Tag @mommyanew.
What is your favorite salad to make during the summer? Comment down below!
Health and happiness. . .
- 4 oz baby spinach
- 1 small red onion
- 3 apples
- 3 tbsp poppy seed dressing
- To make roasted walnuts
- 8 oz walnuts
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Wash baby spinach in a salad spinner and set aside to drain.
2. To make roasted walnuts, line parchment paper on a baking sheet. Place walnuts on lined baking sheet.
3. Melt one stick of butter. Drizzle the butter over walnuts, then sprinkle brown sugar over walnuts. Place baking sheet in the oven at 325 F and toast for 7-10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. Wash apples. Score and slice apples. Then dice apples into smaller pieces. Set aside.
5. Slice red onion. Set aside.
6. Layer all ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add dressing and toss all ingredients together.
7. Serve in a large serving bowl. Add grapefruit slices for garnish as shown in the photograph. (optional)