To skip the storytelling, scroll down 🔽 to the recipe card.
(This post includes affiliate links from which I may receive a commission. All opinions are my own and there are no additional fees to you. Your price remains the same.)
Last post of the year! I wanted to end with something sweet. Apple Crisp!
It’s just something about apples that warm my heart during the fall and winter months. Maybe it’s the aroma of apples and cinnamon baking in the oven. Anyway, this recipe is always a hit and will warm your heart as well. My girls enjoyed it a lot.
I took an old apple crisp recipe and added my own twist, bourbon with a touch of vanilla and topped with caramel sauce. Honeycrisp apples are what I found at my local store, moderately priced, but what isn’t these days? 🙄 Honeycrisp apples are a nice choice for baking.
Try this recipe out for the New Year’s, and I am hoping you have a wonderful and prosperous 2022. Best, Mommy Anew.
All the Stars `
- For the apple topping and caramel sauce, there’s another set of ingredients that you will find in the recipe card below.
- I used my handy apple corer found here.
- I love these mini pans. So cute and great for controlling portions and entertaining. Here’s the deets.
- Remember to shock the saucepan in an ice bath before adding the warm cream and butter to the caramel sauce.
- And finally, I tried a liquid sugar that is organic, plant based and doesn’t skip out on taste.
Head on over to YouTube and watch me make this recipe. Premieres 12/28/21, 7:00 p.m.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @mommyanew.
Remember to sign up for the blog. Be the first to get posts and articles like this straight to your email.
Health and happiness. . .
- 6 apples,
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp Bourbon
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp of butter
- Caramel Sauce (weighed)
- 5 oz liquid sugar
- 6 oz granulated sugar
- 8 oz heavy cream
- 3 oz butter
- Apple Topping
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Peel apples, then slice and core the apples using an apple corer. Place in cold water and set aside.
- To make the apple topping, place brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Add the small butter pieces into the mixture and knead the butter into the dry ingredients. Set mixture aside.
- Put the cored and sliced apples into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle the sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract and Bourbon over the top of the apples. Toss well using your hands.
- Use 2 tablespoons of butter to grease the mini baking dishes. Place the apples inside the mini baking dishes. The apples will bake down. Cut the remaining butter up into small pieces and scatter over the apples.
- Sprinkle the topping over the apples and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the apples start to bubble in the corners. Take out and set aside.
- To make the caramel sauce: Warm heavy cream separately in a saucepan so that it is warm when you add it to the sugar mixture. Put the liquid sugar and granulated sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium stirring constantly until mixture is completely combined. When completely combined, take off the heat and shock the saucepan in an ice bath. Remove the saucepan from the ice bath and slowly add the pieces of butter and warm cream to the saucepan. Mix well until blended.
- Put cooled caramel sauce in a pipe bag or bottle and pipe over the apple crisp and serve.