My last post, Southern Fried Catfish, I promised I would do a post on hush puppies. Today we are going to make hush puppies, but we are going to change it up a little bit and make cheddar hush puppies, uh-hmm.
Hush puppies are an essential part of any fish meal, along with some flavorful spaghetti. I think folks have gotten away from it. Why, I don’t know. Maybe it’s the keeping up with the trend of low carbs, but if you are going to fry catfish, you might as well go all out, in my opinion. My mantra, Everything in moderation. Yes!
The meatball shaper, I tried. I think I prefer to use an old-fashioned tablespoon. 🤔 Remember to shape them into balls before dropping them in the prepared oil.
All the Stars
Combine all the ingredients and mix well until you have a firm consistency. Don’t forget to add the whipped egg whites at the very end.
Flip to ensure they cook evenly. Fry until golden brown.
Head on over to Youtube and watch me make these. Premieres 4/2/21, 7:00 p.m. Music courtesy of Free Music Archive, Swing Soiree by Menage Quad.
Did you make this recipe, tag @mommyanew.
Remember to sign up for the blog. Be the first to get posts and articles like this straight to your email.
Health and happiness. . .
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 medium finely grated onion
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups coarse stone ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 green onion sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- Pour 64 ounces of oil in a frying pan. Preheat oil to 350 degrees.
- While the oil is preheating, in a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, all-purpose flour, egg yolk, green onion, onion, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cheddar, Mix well until you have a firm consistency.
- Beat egg whites and fold into batter quickly.
- Use tablespoon to shape into round pups and drop into prepared oil.
- After a few minutes, flip over to ensure cooking evenly.
- Fry until golden brown all over.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove pups from the oil and place on draining rack or plate lined with paper towels.