“Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed.” Unknown
Whoop, whoop! It’s 2021. We made it. I hope you found time to wind down and reflect on the past year. For a parent, this is still a busy time, maybe even stressful. I love cooking and being creative. That is one of the ways I re-energize myself. This year let’s find the thing that makes you “YOU.” No expectations, just gratitude.
Many choose to eat at the start of the new year black-eyed peas as a tradition. But today I am making a simple red bean stew. This is a WHOLE meal. The fiber in the red kidney beans will keep you stuffed for hours, or you can serve alongside with cornmeal muffins and my Boiled Cabbage and Sausage with Giardiniera. Let’s do this!
All the stars
Remember to soak beans overnight, if you can. And don’t panic if your beans split. They will close back up after cooking.
Also, I am using red kidney beans and not traditional red beans. Just my preference. Substitute as you prefer.
Smoked turkey drumstick for flavor.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @mommyanew.
Also, visit Mommy Anew on Youtube where you can see me make this dish. Premiere 1/4/21 at 6:00 p.m.
Music courtesy of Free Music Archive: Music for Videos by Still Pulto, Southern Spirit.
What are some of your goals for 2021? Comment down below. 😊
Health and happiness. . .
- 1 lb red kidney beans or red beans
- 3 celery stalk
- 1/2 onion
- 1 smoked turkey drumstick
- 14 oz turkey kielbasa
- 4 chicken bouillon
- Rinse beans in large bowl. Soak 1 lb of beans overnight in 8 cups of water.
- Chop vegetables. In a large dutch oven, saute celery first and then add onion. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Slice turkey kielbasa into pieces and cook over medium heat.
- Add the celery, onion, red beans, 8 cups of water, four chicken bouillon to the turkey kielbasa.
- Stir and bring to boil. Add smoked turkey drumstick to pot, Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove smoked turkey drumstick and allow to cool down. Once cool, shred turkey meat and add back to the pot.
- Serve along with rice. (optional)